Valentine's Day: History and Meaning
Valentine's Day is a romantic holiday for couples. People celebrate it on February 14th. On this day, a lot of pairs of lovers have a romantic dinner and spend time together. Each of them tries to show their love and strong feelings.
The history of this day is not entirely clear. But people have their hypotheses. This holiday dates back to the Middle Ages. Every country has its own story of appearance and celebration of this day.
People celebrate Valentine's Day in a lot of places around the world. But the meaning of Valentine’s Day and the way to celebrate it can vary in various places of the world. On this day, people show their love for one another. Before this holiday, people think about the best gift for their significant other. You can find tons of ideas for congratulations.
Some couples even go on romantic trips. Also, you can find a lot of receipts for a festive dinner and the creation of a romantic atmosphere. There are plenty of interesting facts about this romantic day. For example, do you know that in the United States, people spend over $19 billion on gifts on this day?
In this article, we’ll talk about the meaning of Valentine’s Day, its history, and some interesting facts.
What Is Valentine's Day?
Valentine's Day is a holiday celebrated on February 14th each year. But do you know why this day has its name? Let's deal with the history of this holiday from the very beginning:
- As we have already said, the history of Valentine's Day is not clear. But there is an opinion that it originated as a Christian holiday in honor of one or more early saints named Valentine.
- Some people believe that Valentine was a Christian martyr. He was executed for secretly marrying couples. At that time, orders of Emperor Claudius II forbade it. He believed that unmarried soldiers fought better than those who had a wife.
- The day has evolved over time to become a more secular holiday. A lot of people celebrate this holiday. It does not depend on their religions and backgrounds. It is now a day to express affection to romantic partners, friends, and family members. People often exchange gifts and have romantic evenings.
History of Valentine's Day
A lot of people want to know about the origins of Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day’s history is long and complex, with roots dating back to ancient times. Here are some facts from the history of Valentine’s Day:
- We can trace back the origins of Valentine's Day as a holiday to celebrate romantic love in the Middle Ages. During this time, people celebrated the festival of Lupercalia on February 15th. People dedicated the festival to the Roman god of fertility. Over time, the festival evolved into a Christian holiday, Saint Valentine's Day. People started celebrating this day on February 14th.
- The first recorded Valentine's Day message was sent in 1415. Charles, Duke of Orleans, sent the message to his wife while he was in prison. People know this message as the "Valentine of Charles VI." People consider this message as the first Valentine's Day poem.
- Valentine's Day as we know it today began to take shape in the 18th and 19th centuries. During this time, the Industrial Revolution led to an increase in the production of paper goods, such as Valentine's Day cards.
How to Celebrate Valentine's Day in Different Countries?
This holiday exists in plenty of places around the world. But different countries have different ways of Valentine’s Day celebrations. It can vary greatly from one country to another. Also, the Valentine’s Day meaning varies for different places of the world. Here are a few examples of how people celebrate this day around the world:
- In the United States, people often exchange gifts such as bouquets, sweets, and cards. Alternatively, they go out for romantic meals or dates. It's also common for people to express their love through grand gestures. It can be skywriting or buying a billboard.
- In Japan, Valentine's Day is primarily a day for women to show their love to men. It is traditional for women to give men chocolates on February 14th. On March 14th, also known as White Day, men return the favor. They give gifts to the women who gave them gifts on Valentine's Day.
- In South Korea, people also celebrate the Day of Valentine’s on February 14th. It's a day for couples to exchange gifts and go out for romantic dates. But, there is also a tradition of "Black Day" on April 14th. On this day, people who didn't receive gifts on Valentine's Day gather together to eat jjajangmyeon. It's a Korean dish made with black bean sauce noodles.
- In Italy, people celebrate Valentine's Day "La Festa degli Innamorati". It means "The Festival of Lovers." The traditional gift for Valentine's Day in Italy is a red rose and a box of chocolates.
- In France, people call Valentine's Day "La Saint-Valentin." They celebrate this day in a similar way to the United States. However, in France, it's also common for people to express their love through poetry and love letters.
- In China, Valentine's Day is not as widely celebrated as it is in other countries. However, in Chinese, it is called the "Qixi Festival," which falls on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month. It's a traditional festival that celebrates the love story of a cowherd and a weaver girl.
Some Interesting Facts About Valentine’s Day Celebrations
This romantic day is quite an interesting holiday. Here are a few interesting facts about Valentine's Day:
- People in America exchange more than 150 million holiday cards each year. It makes this day the second most popular holiday when people send wish cards.
- In Finland, people call Valentine's Day "Ystävänpäivä," which means "Friends Day." It's a day to remember friends.
- Now, the Day of Valentine is quite a commercializing day. On this day, merchants sell a lot of gifts.
How Can I Congratulate My Loved One on Valentine’s Day?
We have discussed the history and meaning of Valentine’s Day. Now, we want to talk about congratulations to a close person on this day. If you want to congratulate your loved one on this special occasion, there are many ways to do so. We have prepared some ideas that you can use to congratulate your close person:
- A heartfelt message in a card or a letter. It can be a great way to express your feelings. Write about how much your loved one means to you and what they bring to your life.
- Plan a special surprise or activity. It could be something as simple as a special dinner or a romantic getaway. Alternatively, it can be something more elaborate, like a surprise party.
- Give a gift. Give your loved one something that they have been wanting. Or, it can be something that holds special meaning to both of you. It could be anything from a piece of jewelry to a sentimental item.
So, your main task is to let your loved one know how much he or she is loved and appreciated. By doing it in a thoughtful and meaningful way, you will make their Valentine's Day truly special.
Delight Your Loved One with Roses from Rosaholics
So, we have talked about Valentine’s Day and its history. Congratulate your close person on this day. You can complete your words with a gift, such as a bouquet of roses.
Our Rosaholics shop offers a wide variety of roses in different colors. They can be classic red, romantic pink, and elegant white. So, you can surprise your close person with a bouquet of fresh, beautiful roses. Order now and make this Valentine's Day extra special with Rosaholics.
Traditional Valentine's Day symbols include hearts, Cupid, roses, lovebirds, chocolates, and teddy bears. You can use these things as gifts or decorations.
No, Valentine's Day is not only for romantic couples. It's also a day to express love and appreciation for family and friends. Many people celebrate the day by sending cards, flowers, and gifts to their loved ones.
People celebrate Valentine's Day in many countries around the world. However, it's not celebrated in some countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Malaysia. It's because it's seen as a Western cultural import and might be considered un-Islamic.
Instead of traditional gifts, there are some other ways to celebrate this day. For example, couples can celebrate Valentine's Day by going on a trip. Also, they can do something adventurous or unique together.
Most Popular Flowers To Give On Valentine’s Day For Her: Guide 2023
What To Get For Your Boyfriend For Valentines Day To Make Him Feel Special
How to Choose the Right Happy Valentine’s Day Rose Bouquet
What To Do for Valentine's Day: Best Guide For Couples 2023
What to Give Wife / Girlfriend For Valentine’s Day: Best Ideas 2023