How To Press A Flower?
The fashion for dry flowers originated in the 70s of the last century and is returning now. Dried buds are used in interior decoration, jewelry, the production of scented sachets, candles, soap, and bath salts, as well as making pressed flower books with them. All of the above is easy to do with your own hands if you watch the training masterclasses and practice.
Everyone loves flowers. This means that you can not only admire them but also dry them for beautiful pressed flower crafts. There are different ways to dry flowers, for example, the most popular of them are:
- microwave pressed flowers
- volumetric drying
- glycerin preservation
- under the press
- air drying
Flowers are given on special occasions, and often without them, just to cheer someone up. They are used to decorate halls for celebrations and gifts. However, fresh flowers tend to fade quickly.
Dried flowers are inexpensive, but no less an excellent alternative to a live bouquet. Lavender and roses, for example, retain their scent for a long time, delighting you, your loved ones, and guests.
In this article, we will tell you how to preserve the memory of a wonderful moment for a long time by drying the flowers that adorned the holiday of the soul and heart, and also tell you how to make different crafts from dried flowers.
Microwave pressed flowers: how to dry flowers in the microwave?
Drying flowers is a very exciting activity, and besides, there are a lot of options on how to do it. One of them is drying flowers in the microwave.
All you need for microwave pressed flowers: 2 pieces of cardboard (20x20 cm), 5-6 rubber bands, a few sheets of paper for "filling" and 3 pieces of absorbent paper (napkins, eg). By the way, you can use a notebook or sketchbook - the main thing is that it fits in the microwave.
How to dry flowers in the microwave?
- Prepare flowers as usual: take clean, dry (not wet) flowers. Cut off large leaves and lay the flowers flat, straightening the buds on paper. Put the piece of cardboard down, cover it with three layers of absorbent paper (paper napkin). And cover with the second piece of cardboard. We make several of these layers.
Make several landscapes exactly the same as described above. The main thing is that the thickness of the bookmarks should be more or less equal so that microwave pressed flowers dry evenly.
IMPORTANT: Make sure that the flowers on the leaf remain where you put them (i.e., do not move) so that the flowers do not lie on top of each other (they can stick together)
- Tie with elastic bands and put in the microwave over medium heat for 60 seconds. We take out, cool slightly, and look: if the flowers are dry and flat, the process is over. If not, set another 30-60 seconds. Repeat the process until the flowers are completely dry.
Allow cooling microwave pressed flowers, carefully remove cardboard and paper.
IMPORTANT: now the flowers are very fragile, we work with great care. We disassemble the completely cooled flowers, leaving the best ones. And we are ready to create something exquisite. If we did everything right, microwave-pressed flowers will retain their color. And that's exactly what we wanted.
Standard drying methods for flowers
There are many different methods for drying flowers and this is the easiest of them:
Hanging technique (volumetric drying of flowers)
The herbarium is not useful in a situation where you want to preserve volume and splendor. Such armfuls are hung up with cut stems. This way you can preserve the charm of cereals, garden roses, peonies, calendula, daisies, etc.
It is necessary for advancement, while the stems are fresh:
- Cut off the lower leaves.
- Squeeze them well into a bunch.
- Tie them with a ribbon.
- Do not overtighten. They can break, and the natural ventilation between them will help them dry quickly.
- Dry separately, if the branch of the plant is voluminous and lush.
In a ventilated, dark room, you need to stretch the cords and pin the prepared bundles on them. It is important that they are not in direct rays of the scorching sun, otherwise, the bright shades of the herbs will fade. Depending on what exactly you use, the technique requires at least two weeks of time.
The technique of execution does not require special efforts or costs but is suitable for almost all cultures. Branches with berries look special. Then with the obtained dried flowers, you can make a pressed flower book.
In order to do this we need to:
- Choose a beautiful transparent jar or vessel.
- Put the buds tightly in it.
- Fill it with a glycerin solution.
- Close the jar as tight as possible and your unusual decoration for the bedroom is ready.
To make Ikebana (unfortunately without stems), do the same, just mix glycerin with water in a 1: 3 ratio. After three days, the inflorescences can be pulled out and blotted with napkins and done. Then, with the obtained dried flowers, you can make a pressed flower book.
Press and air drying flower methods
With the help of these two methods on how to press flowers, you can dry flowers without straining and without taking yourself for a long time:
Under the press
Many people put plants between the sheets of a book or newspaper and place a load on them. But if something is written or drawn on paper, you run the risk of getting a dried flower with a print, since the paint will be imprinted due to moisture.
- We recommend using white cardboard or watercolor paper, you can even buy a notebook with watercolor sheets.
- Next, with tape on each sheet, fix the flowers so that they do not touch, and put them under the press.
- It takes 30 days to dry. During this time, do not move the load, do not remove it, and do not look between the pages: the stems and petals will break.
- As a result of diligence, graceful dried flowers will turn out, but they must be handled with care, as they are very fragile.
The method is suitable for plants with dense stems: hydrangeas, roses, peonies, asters, lavender, and dahlia. Due to their high density, they retain their shape and do not accumulate moisture. Flowers with soft tissues, such as tulips, will start to rot rather than dry out.
- Collect small bouquets of 2-5 flowers from flowers, tie and hang down in buds in a dark place with good air circulation.
- If the flowers were previously in a vase, cut off the part of the stem that was in contact with the water. Keep plants out of the sun or they will burn out and fade.
- After 2-3 weeks, when the stem becomes brittle, the flowers are completely dry and you can make your own pressed flower book.
Pressed flowers crafts
Drying flowers is not only an interesting and exciting process but also a result. Dried flowers can be used as a decorative element. And here are some crafts we suggest you do with dried flowers:
- Wall panel of dried flowers
The pressed flower crafts that a creative person creates are generally divided into two parts: the first - there are suitable materials at hand or the necessary skills are available, the second - because the idea is so hooked that neither the need to buy materials nor the complete lack of skills stops in a particular area. A wall panel made of dried flowers is just the case when nothing will stop you!
- Pressed flower crafts: Wall wreath
A wreath on a wall or on a door is a very interesting piece, interior and stylish. It can not only transform the design of the room, but also easily arrange the necessary shades, hide possible imperfections in space, and divert attention from some planning flaws. Plus, it's just soulful and cute!
- Pressed flower crafts: Dried flower card
Dried flower appliques are fun! It is so interesting and exciting that you want to create, create and create! Bouquets and portraits, people and animals, trees and mountains, seas and oceans, heaven and earth can be born from dried flowers. Anything can be born, the main thing is not to be afraid of unexpected results and to create without boundaries.
- Scented dry flower sachets
Oh, how great it is when you open the wardrobe - and from it, the aromas of roses and lavender, lilacs and cornflowers, chamomile, and calendula are flying at you! This is a fabulous sensation, believe, and it is in your power not only to believe but also to make aromatic sachets for yourself and all those to whom you want to give a small holiday and a sea of positive emotions.
Recommendations for preserving dried flowers:
In order for your ready-made compositions of dried flowers to please the eye for a long time and you can place them in the pressed flower book, you should follow simple rules:
- do not place vases or hang panels in areas where direct sunlight will fall on them;
- place products in semi-dark places so that they retain bright colors longer;
- ventilate the premises and monitor the humidity of the air. Inflorescences do not like overdried spaces;
- cover the surface with a transparent varnish or constantly clean it with a rubber syringe. Alternatively, store the products under a transparent or glass cover in a sealed container.
What can you do with pressed flower crafts?
The theme of the masterpieces depends on your flight of ideas.
- Most often, the flowers are dried in order to be placed in a vase as a decorative design and not to worry that they will wither, as happens with living ones.
- The second, no less interesting option, is the compilation of a panel with floral patterns or even a well-thought-out plot. The color filling of the flora representatives allows you to recreate any plots.
- Many people decorate crafts or countertops with epoxy resin, placing dried compositions inside and getting an expensive, unique and original design as a result. In this case, the most important thing is to understand how to properly and quickly dry flowers for crafts, paintings, or decor.
- You can use your pressed flower book in which you will place different types of flowers.
Not only fresh flowers but also dried ones can evoke charm and just joy. How nice to look at pressed flower crafts that you made yourself! Now you know all about drying flowers in different ways and what you can do with them! By the way, you can buy flowers for crafts in our store.
How to dry flowers for a bouquet?
Let's list the most effective ways: Dry drying does not require any effort. Pour 4-5 cm of water into a vase and let it steep for a few days. When the liquid has evaporated, remove the flowers, trim the stems to prevent fungus from forming, and leave in an empty vase until completely dry.
How to properly dry flowers for decoration?
Put large flowers with wide inflorescences with their heads down, elongated and small ones - on the contrary. Cover the elements peeking out of the grains of sand and send without a cover to a dry, ventilated place for a period of 14-15 days. This is how you can quickly and correctly dry flowers for crafts and decor.
How to dry flowers with an iron?
Flowers with leaves are laid out on paper. Cover the top with another sheet and iron it until the plant loses all moisture, that is, the steam stops flowing. Large inflorescences, the petals of which contain a lot of moisture, can be dried in the microwave or oven. The temperature should not be high.
How to dry flowers in a cotton pad?
To do this, you will need a book or press and cotton pads. The flower is placed with its open bud down between two cotton pads on their denser side. After that, he is placed under the press or in a book, which is also placed under the press. After 3-5 days, the flower dries up.