Gift Basket And Rose Bouquets
An arrangement of rose bouquets in a basket has always been a popular gift for birthdays, weddings, and any significant event. The basket looks presentable and expensive, and it retains its freshness longer than a bouquet with long legs. The basket can be watered like a houseplant, thereby prolonging the life of the bouquet. The gift is easy to carry, it does not require a vase and can be placed not only on the table but also in any room as a decor.
Moreover, you can give a gift basket as one of the most versatile gift options for most occasions. The basket looks solid, and its filling will be useful to the recipient in any case.
In this article, we will tell you how to make a basket of flowers and share floristic tricks. It will help you create a floral arrangement, even if you have never encountered floristry. We will also offer several options for filling the gift basket.
How to select flowers for a bouquet in a basket?
You need plants with a hard stem: roses, chrysanthemums, tulips, carnations, peonies, hydrangeas, or calla lilies to make a beautiful gift basket. The stems of daffodils, irises, or ranunculus need additional support: they are reinforced with wire. Coniferous branches, cotton, and eucalyptus are used for New Year's surprises.
It is difficult to say exactly how many buds will be required. A small basket needs about 15 roses. Buy more greenery to fill up the empty spaces if there are not enough flowers.
If you are making such a bouquet for the first time, create a mono bouquet, for example, from solid roses or tulips. You can experiment with different plants and shades after mastering the technology.
How to collect a rose bouquet in a basket?
Surprise creation is not difficult but a long process. If it is your first time doing this, we advise you to take the time. You can ruin the bouquet or damage the flowers in a hurry.
What you need:
- Decorative gift basket. It is better to buy an accessory made from natural materials: birch bark, bamboo, or willow twigs. Wire and synthetic products will deprive the composition of its natural naturalness.
- A floral sponge (oasis) that completely covers the bottom. Buy a few sticks if the basket is large.
- Stationery knife.
Collecting Rose bouquets in a basket
Prepare the plants before starting work. Spray with water, remove excess leaves and trim the stems, including those around the greenery.
- Cut the sponge to fit the bottom of the basket.
- Place the oasis in water for 20 minutes so that it is completely saturated with moisture.
- Place two layers of polyethylene on the bottom of the basket and fix it on the walls with tape.
- Put the sponge in the basket. The oasis must be positioned so that it rises above the edges and adds volume to the composition. If the basket is deep, crumpled newspapers, plastic, or paper are placed on the bottom.
- Collect greens. First, insert it on the sides, setting the volume. Then put the highest branch in the center - determine the height. For the composition to look harmonious, the rest of the flora should not go beyond the extreme points.
- Put flowers. Arrange the buds symmetrically, keeping the distance between them. Rotate the basket continuously to fill the space evenly.
- Work carefully: cannot remove the flower from the sponge and re-stick it, there will be a dent, and there will be no food for the plant in this place. Do not strive for perfect shapes and clear contours. Light natural carelessness will give the gift a natural charm.
Rose bouquets in baskets, natural carelessness, and slight disheveledness are welcomed. Some plants can be higher; others can be lowered. But make sure that the stems do not rest against the base: this can damage the cut, and water will not flow to the flower.
How to decorate a gift basket with flowers?
Tie a satin ribbon and add various decorative elements: butterflies, feathers, stickers; it is the easiest way to decorate a basket of flowers. But the basket looks most impressive when other presents are put in it.
Complement the rose bouquet with sweets, fruits, or souvenirs.
In winter, complement the basket with tangerines, a couple of balls, or candles and tie it with tinsel. You will get a beautiful present, with which you are not ashamed to come to relatives or friends during the New Year holidays.
How to care for a gift basket with roses?
If you follow the recommendations, the roses in the basket retain their freshness longer than in a vase. The secret of their longevity is in the oasis at the bottom of the basket. It is soaked in water and a special flower dressing that prevents the growth of bacteria.
Florists did everything to make the flowers stand for a long time, but your efforts will still be required.
- A bouquet in a basket is often used to decorate a room; a gift is placed on the floor or a table. Avoid places where plants are exposed to direct sunlight or to heat near working batteries or heaters.
- Wipe the dust off the leaves to help the plant cells breathe.
- Do not move the composition. Plants get used to the place where they are. Frequent change of location will cause stress and premature wilting.
- Remove withering buds. They cannot be reanimated, but they continue to consume nutrients.
How to water roses in a gift basket?
Many people think that if they give a bouquet in a gift basket, it doesn't need to be watered. But the oasis dries up, and the composition quickly fades. Follow the watering rules.
- Add water daily from a kettle, long-nosed watering can, or large syringe by removing the needle. Saturate the perimeter and centre oasis.
- Don't be afraid to pour a lot of liquid; it's better than underfilling. The bottom of the basket is protected with plastic wrap, so the rods will not get wet. But if a dry space remains in the sponge, the flowers placed in it will die.
- Use filtered or settled water. It takes at least 2 hours for heavy chemical compounds to settle.
Rose care mistakes in a gift basket
Some buyers, out of ignorance or curiosity, violate the technology of storing flowers in a basket. This shortens the life of the composition. Most often, two mistakes are made:
- Take out the plants from the oasis. Re-placing the flower in the same place will not work. The sponge does not regain its shape, and sticking to the stem will damage neighbouring flowers. If you took out a flower, place it in a vase.
- Spray the buds with a spray bottle. The flora is located tightly to each other; the drops are retained and do not evaporate, which causes rotting.
As you can see, caring for a gift basket with roses is simple and will take no more than 5 minutes.
How to present a gift basket?
The gift basket itself is a very convenient accessory that does not require additional packaging. If we are talking about celebrating the New Year, just put the basket under the tree and allow your family members to independently find a gift.
The birthday present must be presented in person. On this day, a person needs others’ attention, so he or she expects the warmest congratulations from relatives and friends. Present a basket filled with flowers, fruits, or other tasty and useful things to the birthday person, accompanying it with congratulations and, possibly, a kiss.
As you know, the best gift is the one in which a person puts his heart and soul. You need to try to select for your family and friends what they really want to get. The right gift should bring joy to both the giver and the recipient, tell without words about love, respect, and care.